Friday, July 19, 2019

Double-Crested Cormorant






There are birds I would love to photograph often but they are either far away or they fly from you the moment they noticed you. Double-Crested cormorant is one of them.

I didn't have luck for a long time with Cormorant but at the end of June 2019 I was able to take several pictures of this wonderful bird. 

I noticed this bird right away but wasn't very excited. My first thought was selfish; the background could be less messy.  I tried to chase this thought away.  Then an unexpected challenge came. My first pictures came blur.  No matter what I did I couldn't get one sharp picture. It took a while when finally I got a few sharp pictures that saved my day.

Cormorants are interesting birds. They don't have waterproof feathers and often spread their wings to dry them. Unfortunately, I didn't get sharp pictures when this cormorant spread its wings. Hopefully, next time.





9 comments:

  1. Pues a pesar de las dificultades que describes, el contraste entre el color negro del ave y el verde del fondo es suficiente como para que el fondo no distraiga la atención. Dos buenas fotografías.
    Un abrazo,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are beautiful. Especially when playing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The reason they flee from you so quickly, Kaya, is that this species has been mercilessly persecuted by humans, ant it continues to this day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These birds are common in my neck of the woods. I cannot recall ever seeing them in a flock, rather individually, as a pair or a very small family group. Also, whether in a slough or on a lake, my experience has been that they usually are as far from the shoreline as possible.

    I think you were fortunate to get these photographs, Kaya ....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice photos - and glad you got them! We have them at our lake and they love to perch on tree logs that have fallen along the shoreline and dry their feathers. They are fun to watch for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pues a pesar de todo, mereció la pena. Seguro que la próxima vez, ves cumplidos tus deseos fotrograficos.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Parece estar en estado de alerta y ante el menor ruído levantar el vuelo. Estas imágenes que has conseguido son muy buenas, aunque no hayas logrado conseguir tu propósito.

    Besos

    ReplyDelete
  8. It seems fun to watch this bird....
    great shots

    ReplyDelete