Friday, August 23, 2019

The Story of Virginia Rails

The story I am going to tell started a few years ago, when I desperately was trying to find the places where I could watch birds and photograph them. 

I didn't know any wildlife photographer whom I could ask, who would give me advice where to go. I was on my own. 

Eventually, I found the great book "Utah's Featured Birds" that mentioned many viewing sites. This book became my best reference guide. In addition it had  fantastic photographs of birds taken by the wildlife photographer Paul Higgins who happened to live in the nearby city. 

Who knew that one day I would meet Paul Higgins and didn't recognized him.

On one Sunday I was driving along the Bear river when I noticed a photographer with a huge telephoto lens (probably 800 mm or more) in the tall grass close to the river, he was photographing some birds. I was very curious and decided to wait when a photographer would leave to find out what birds were there. But when I reached the place I didn't see any birds. 

On a way back to my car I was stopped by a photographer who immediately asked me did I see Virginia rails. 

I have never seen Virginia rails before. I had no idea what kind of birds they are and how they look. I also missed the spot where I could watch Virginia rails. A photographer was very kind and showed me the way where I could see these birds but unfortunately they were so far away. No way with my lens I could get even one decent picture of these birds. That was a big disappointment. 

That morning I also got a gift from a photographer, the wonderful book "Peterson Reference Guide to Seawatching" who mentioned that the photograph on the book cover was taken by him.










Later being at home I found that it was signed by Paul Higgins who contributed many photographs to Peterson reference guide. 

Suddenly everything came together and I felt so selfish. Why I didn't open this book in Paul's presence?  I would immediately noticed that it was signed...

***

Two weeks later I was fortunate finally to see again at Bear river two Virginia rails who weren't far away. Here they are:















11 comments:

  1. When two worlds meet, a positive experience is born.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Muy emocionante la historia...por fin tú también has logrado fotografiarlos...debió de ser una rica experiencia.

    Besos

    ReplyDelete
  3. You never know who you'll meet... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely encounter to be sure, Kaya, and one which you will always remember with great affection. This kind of kindness should be replicated in every aspect of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are so lucky to meet with an author and he has signed the book....
    Virginia trails look so cute.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I were you, Kaya, I would mail the gentleman a thank you note and if I encountered him again in the wild, thank him personally.

    These birds are beautiful and your photographs are splendid .... neat work ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fram, I wanted to send a thank you note but when I visited Paul Higgins website there wasn't a contact form.
      Such a life...

      Delete
  7. Toda una suerte tener un ejemplar del libro firmado por su autor. En cuanto a tus fotos de los Virginia Rails son excelentes las tres, a cual mejor.
    Un abrazo,

    ReplyDelete
  8. i really enjoyed this sequence of events and the beautiful book photo and wow, gorgeous birds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bellissime queste fotografie.
    Buona giornata

    ReplyDelete