Sunday, February 23, 2020

The Guardian of The Hunting Area

Today I went to the Bear river and was pleased with the road (not muddy anymore) and a sunny day.

I saw a Rough-legged hawk almost right away but no way I could approach him because there was a gate.  Luckily, the gate had a narrow gap and I was able to squeeze myself through it.  What I didn't realize that I was stepping into the hunting area.




The hawk settled comfortably on the warning sign " No parking". My car was on the road and I didn't feel that I was breaking rules.





Suddenly the hawk changed his mind and flew to a nearby shrub, chose a thin branch and was sitting on it for a while. Very peacefully.






And then he abruptly took off leading me to the sign that warned me that I may only possess 25 something (the hawk's tale covered one letter in the word) while hunting. 

It was a time to say goodbye to the hawk and leave.





Sitting proudly on the sign, still covering one letter with his tail.  My guess the word was "shens", but I am not sure. 








18 comments:

  1. I think it says shells, as in ammunition.

    Beautiful hawk! What is hunted there? I hope not hawks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandi, thank you. I don't know what is hunted there but I am sure they don't hunt for hawks.

      Delete
  2. aww...smart hawk....he told the right thing to do....

    I think the word is "shells," a synonym to projectiles or ammunitions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanza, thank you. Yes, he was truly the smart hawk 😊

      Delete
  3. Beautiful, proud, curious and excellent photographed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. His feathers form near-perfect camouflage for the terrain.

    I would bet the word is shells, which generally is used in the sense of rounds for a shotgun (at least in this neck of the woods), rather than for a rifle or a handgun, which implies hunting for grouse or pheasants or waterfowl -- I guess I am trying to say for birds -- although the term can be used for any form of ammunition.

    Great photographs, Kaya ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fram, thank you! I am not familiar with hunting terminology and know so little about hunting 😌

      Delete
  5. Bueno a veces hay que ser un poco transgresor si se quiere conseguir una buena fotografía. Como las que tu nos muestras.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Buenas capturas de halcón, Kaya, estuviste rápida con la cámara.

    Saludos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fotos magníficas del Halcón que pienso te quería mostrar orgullosamente "su" propia área de caza.
    Un abrazo,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Buen guardián tiene esa zona. La serie es espléndida amiga. Gracias por compartirla.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete