Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Wilson's Phalaropes at the Great Salt Lake - I.

This is another bird who takes advantage of Great Salt Lake brine flies and brine shrimp.  During my last visit to Antelope Island I was fortunate to photograph these birds who usually stay far away from the shore.  



Wilson's Phalaropes are small skittish birds and that day they luckily were close to the shore.  Why?  Perhaps, it was Sunday and there weren't many visitors that morning.






I have never seen these birds coming to the rocks (the shore is covered with rocks) but I suspect that they climb on the rocks on a rare occasion.







When Phalaropes are spreading their wings they look a little bit bigger.
 






Ready to catch a few brine flies.

***

If you think about something very specific and imagining how it can happen sooner or later you will come across it.  

I was lucky to be able to photograph these birds.  Not all of the photos were good, some were blur, some were out of focus.  There were a lot of frustrating moments  but the whole experience  was unforgettable and wonderful.  And that is what matters.

Generally, life is good!