Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Western Grebe During Nesting - I.




It has been three long years since I last photographed Western Grebe on a nest. Since then, I have always looked for nests but have never seen them.

A few days ago I was thrilled to see a female Western Grebe on her well built floating nest. 







It's not always peaceful during nesting.  A Western Grebe must always be on the alert and often chase away other Grebes that are trying to get close to the nest.










Stay away from my nest.









During my last visit, I saw only one egg in the nest.  Will there be three more?  Typically, Western Grebes lay three to four eggs.  I hope to see more eggs in the nest soon.

It was not easy to photograph the nesting Grebe.  The nest was surrounded by sticks and marshy hummocks, but I had a great opportunity and was happy.

Life goes on.