Wednesday, April 4, 2018

American White Pelicans - I. Stay Under My Wing


These American Pelicans are already a couple.

They have a strong bond during the breeding season.







Stay under my wing. I will shelter you.








Most of the time pelicans were sleeping until one awoke 

and looked around.

He is awake and she is still sleeping.







Then he goes to sleep and she is awake.







American White pelicans are the only pelicans that grow a plate 

on the bright yellow upper bill

during the breeding season.









It's time to look around together and see what is going on in the world.

***

During my last visit to Bear River I was determined to get to the core of Bear river refuge 

and finally drive around.

I almost reached the main area when I saw two pelicans on the opposite side of river.

That was it.  I stayed with the birds until sunset.

***

I am learning a lot about patience.

Patience is not about waiting.

It's about not expecting anything but keeping a good attitude.







13 comments:

  1. Kaya, such beauty and to see them up close as they sleep and watch...magical!!!

    Love them!!!

    Hugs 💮❤💮❤💮

    ReplyDelete
  2. There have been a few times I lived alongside a lake and have been able to observe pelicans in some numbers, even flocks feeding on a few occasions, which is quite a sight. In reality, I know nothing about them or their habits, and hope I might learn a bit from your posts.

    The first photograph could be and should be a prize winner, Kaya .... the right place at the right time, I would call it ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cow! That one wing spread is a awesome capture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It protects him from the sun. A scene rarisima!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire this pair and I really like these birds. The pictures are great, especially the first and the content above it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Te estas haciendo una experta en fotografía de aves. Esta serie es muy buena sobre todo la primera imagen, los pelicanos parecen que esta posando para ti. Y también se aprende sobre los pelicanos blancos americanos con tus comentarios.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hermosos pelícanos. Estoy familiarizado con estas aves pero en América del Sur, especialmente en Perú, donde sus colores son oscuros. Todas las fotografías son excelentes, pero la primera tiene ese plus de la oportunidad de la captura en la que parece que uno pretende arropar y proteger al otro bajo su ala.
    Un abrazo,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unaas bellas imagenes... Me encantan. Muy buenos trabajos
    Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I appreciate your explanations, I find them interesting

    And I love your pictures too, specially the first one in this case :))

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Estupendas fotos así como los momentos captados, muy interesante las explicaciones que nos das.

    Saludos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bellos momentos captados, con esas parejas de aves, en unos encuadres perfectos.

    Besos

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Kaya, these photographs are simply amazing ... especially that first one.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. I must get off the net but i could spend all day looking at your photos.

    ReplyDelete