Saturday, November 10, 2018

Two Important Lessons

My first large bird I photographed was a Long-Bill Curlew. It was March and I was driving to Bear river when I spotted two big birds with long curvy bills on the open field.  They blended so well in their habitat that my camera had a difficult time focusing but I was lucky to get a few decent photographs.



Long-Billed Curlew is a large North American shorebird but sometimes you can see them on the fields where they are looking for grasshoppers, beetles or another insects.  




These birds have the longest bills of any shorebirds. 







Long-Billed Curlews taught me two important lessons in bird photography:

don't be in a hurry to pack your gear. Wait to the very end. 

I was leaving the Bear river with my gear in my backpack. It was getting late and I thought that nothing interesting would happen. That was a big mistake.

When I noticed two Long-Billed curlews in the field, I regretted immediately being so careless and not having a quick access to my gear.  The birds were having a wonderful courtship dance.  I tried to put all my gear together as quickly as I could but soon the moment was gone.

if a background is not so great, it's better to take pictures than not to take any because the moments don't last forever.

That day I made a decision to show all birds in their natural habitats, to leave my images to look natural and not overdone. And never be stressed about a background.

7 comments:

  1. The pictures are quite exceptional, Kaya, and as you say reflect their habitat. It is always pleasing to see a close up of a bird, a "portrait" that fills the frame, but the background reveals its habitat, says something about its way of life, presents the bird in its natural setting, and in my opinion makes for a more interesting presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bird has a unique beak. Images are very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ante la duda siempre hay que disparar, Luego hay sorpresas, a veces buenas, a veces malas. Pero es mejor que arrepentirse más tarde. Con estas también tuviste suerte y paciencia.,
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once again, Kaya, you have come up with a bird I never have heard of, much less ever have seen. He is a good looking guy and evidently knows his way around when looking for a meal.

    You are learning a great deal about techniques for being more than just an individual with a camera. The first lesson you mention is very important, the second even more important, I think. In the days of film, both the initial expense for the film and the cost of having it processed affected the number of times a photographer would "click" the shutter. With the digital cameras of today, those expenses are eliminated so there is no reason to be shy about pushing the button. If you are not already using a motordrive, I would suggest investing in one of them. They are a fantastic aid, in my opinion, and allow a photographer to capture shots not otherwise possible. They are especially useful for "moving targets."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Siempre hay que intentarlo, Kaya, buenos disparos, te han quedado muy bien.

    Saludos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Las fotos, pese a la dificultad, son muy buenas. Tiene toda la razón en que mejor es hacer una fotografía, aunque las condiciones no sean optimas, que no hacerla y, por otra parte, usted maneja la profundidad de campo con tal maestría que el fondo raramente distrae la atención.
    Un abrazo,

    ReplyDelete