Tuesday, February 4, 2020

The Story of Cooper's Hawk

I was leaving Antelope Island when I saw a Cooper's hawk in the dry grass. 

He seemed alert but not much. I took a few photos and thought that my encounter with the hawk was over but it was only the beginning of my "hunt".




My first stop. The hawk stayed at this place for a while.




And then the hawk flew to a nearby sign.







The light was changing rapidly, it was getting darker when I saw the same hawk on the warning sign.






He didn't like that I was getting closer and closer and took off. I was sure that my "hunt" came to the end but the hawk surprised me one more time. 





Here he was sitting on another warning sign.  Apparently, the warning signs made him feel safe or he was sending me a message "enough is enough".





That late afternoon I got shots of three warning signs that I have never noticed before and the Red-tailed hawk. 

I had a difficult time to identify this hawk and thought that this was a juvenile Red-tailed hawk, I was mistaken. I photographed a Cooper's Hawk. I am learning about raptors.




15 comments:

  1. A proud bird, with a beautiful plume.
    The last photo is powerful as a message.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha detectado tu cámara y no quiere que le hagan más fotos.

    En la primera parada, tiene de fondo un tono parecideo a su plumaje, aunque él tiene el color más fuerte y eso es lo que lo hace destacar.

    Posado en la señal, se siente seguro, porque nadie podría llegar a la altura que ha llegado él.

    Me gusta los detalles de su vuelo y su mirada altanera de la 2ª y 5ª fotografía.

    Besos


    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, Kaya. I think this is a young, red-tailed hawk, although I say it with the admonition that I am something less than talented at distinguishing one raptor from another.

    I do think, however, that he is not only telling you to keep your distance, but is a bit vain and is posing for you, as well .... sort of saying, see how good I can balance?

    The entire series is super, Kaya, and I particularly am a fan of birds in flight ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fram, thank you very, very much for saying that this is a young red-tailed hawk. I was sure that he wasn't a rough-legged hawk but when I looked at other hawks, this guy didn't fit in any categories. That is truly very difficult to distinguish one hawk from another. I know it right now.

      Delete
    2. Fram, I thought that I photographed a young, Red-tailed hawk but apparently it was a Cooper's hawk.

      Delete
  4. probably a first year one ... waiting for its red tail ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cao, that is what exactly I thought when I saw this hawk.

      Delete
  5. Estupendas tomas del halcón, Kaya, en especial la captura en pleno vuelo por la dificultad que tiene y lo bien que lo has conseguido.

    Saludos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Magnificas imagenes, amiga... Como siempre con una bellisima definicion
    Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love these shots and the ones on the sign - cool. One of my favorite seagull photos is when two were sitting on a sign. although i forget now what the sign said.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Una preciosa ave el halcón de cola roja como también lo son tus fotografias.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Que buen seguimiento hiciste Kaya. Son fantásticas todas.
    Te deseo un buen jueves.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Un interesante juego entre el halcón y la cámara. La nitidez de las fotografías es perfecta y en la del halcón en vuelo has superado con creces las dificultades que entraña la fotografía en movimiento; hasta el ojo ha salido perfecto.
    Un abrazo,

    ReplyDelete
  11. Es un ave muy hermosa y tus fotos geniales. Un enorme abrazo.

    ReplyDelete