Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Killdeer on the Rocks



When I spotted this Killdeer my first thought was that he/she was nesting. Both female and male incubate so there is no way I could tell what gender was this Killdeer.

The Killdeer was by the road laying on the rocks and making noise as if he/she was threatening someone.  I looked around and saw a Swainson's Hawk on the pole. He was a several feet away and didn't pay attention to Killdeer.





At some moment Killdeer got up and started to walk along the road. Soon he would take flight.

That was an unusual encounter with this bird. It brought a lot of questions and no answers. I hope I didn't disturb much this wonderful bird. 





12 comments:

  1. Fine specie with no sexual dimorphism

    ReplyDelete
  2. A moment of respite for a beautiful bird, rendered in an image with very pleasant tones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me llama la atención, sus grandes ojos, que parecen observar toda la naturaleza, detenidamente.

    Besos

    ReplyDelete
  4. you got some good close ups. i was at big bear lake the other day and now I know that the bird I photographed near the shoreline was a Killdeer. It looked familiar as I had seen them before but never researched to find out what it was. anyway great pics of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is fun to see them run ....

    The first photograph is a true gem with its outstanding detail of the bird's colors ....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photos are amazing, as usual. I love, love, love them! Thank you for introducing the Killdeer, I had never heard of it before. I learned something new today, I always do when I visit your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aaaa dear Kaya. I love these photos, absolutely love them, perfect shots, colours, all. <3 This bird had such charming eyes, really magical bird. Photos are like the most beautiful paintings! Have a nice day, lots of love. :***

    ReplyDelete
  8. attractive ring circles the eye...wonderful.
    Great shots

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hermoso pájaro y hermosas fotografías. Espero que el halcón no he haya jugado una mala pasada.
    Un abrazo y cuidate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Buenos disparos a este bello pájaro, Kaya.

    Saludos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Precioso el chorlitejo con eso ojo rojo y negro tan llamativo. Se parece al avefría que visita España en los inviernos.
    Un abrazo y salud,

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that first photograph.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete