Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Notes to Self -XII. My Father

Poor is relative. We weren’t truly poor, we managed somehow to cross the gap between being poor and being on the other side of it.  

We met our American guest with all the honors including a nice dinner my creative mother prepared from almost nothing.  My father contributed to this dinner what he could manage, a bottle of brandy saved for a special occasion.

We sat at the long coffee table in the living room.  My father worn his favorite slightly worn gray suit and a black sweater that made him look much younger.

My early memories of him are often vague, curly hair the color of light brown combed slowly and carefully straight back in the lustrous wave, his hands lifting me up and flying with me around and above his head and laugh, happy and loud, until my concerned mother says enough, please put her on the floor.

A few years ago my father stepped from his role, a powerful and knowledgable patriarch of the family.  He played this role for so long that at some point he decided enough was enough and created some formal space between him, my mother and me.

At our table he was the only one in our family who spoke fluent English, the only one who made jokes, the rest of us were silent, pretending that we understood almost everything what was said.  We were smiling, making short laughs and then disappeared in the kitchen showing how busy we were. 

***

Eleanor Roosevelt said once, " Do one thing every day that scares you."

Writing in English scares me but I write anyway. My writing is often awkward but the process itself is exciting. It's like living and breathing words.

Generally, life is good!






16 comments:

  1. It is my belief that communication in any form is the most difficult task in the world. Not only are there a multitude of languages, but often words in any language have varying meanings to different people. Writing, for any number of reasons, is the most difficult form of communication, I think, especially when an individual is writing for a large audience. Journalists, for instant, often have two or three "style books" they are supposed to adhere to, but often the style books have conflicting information and even "rules" which, at times, are in contradiction to grammatical rules.

    My own first rule of writing, Kaya, is to write for you and do not worry about what anyone else might think .... unless you are writing an assignment for a school teacher or for an editor who happens to be your boss .... in which case, then write exactly the way he or she wants it written ....

    I think you write well and I am happy to see you doing it ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fram, I agree with you that writing is difficult. I remember what Hemingway said about it, what you do is sit down at typewriter and bleed. I understand it right now.

      I like your first rule, it's a good one to write for yourself and don't worry.
      I remember a quote on your blog, "better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self". It became my motto and not only with writing.
      Fram, thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. It means a lot to me.


      Delete
    2. The school teacher and editor elements are not part of my rules, Kaya. I was being sort of factious and I am not even sure why I wrote it.

      An instructor in a college short story writing class wrote a comment on one of my stories that I "painted well with words." You certainly did in this piece about your father. Like Sandy, I could see everything you were describing and felt I was not only seeing him, but knowing and understanding him.

      Delete
    3. Fram, I know that you can paint with words, your instructor was absolutely correct. And you do it so beautifully, so flawlessly.

      I am so glad that you could see everything what was happening in this little piece. I was sure that no one would read it and was surprised to find your comment.
      Anyway, a special thank you for being interested in it.

      Delete
  2. sincerity is a true language
    Merci.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cão, thank you!
      Yes, sincerity is a true language!!!

      Delete
  3. Gràcies per compartir els teus pensaments, Kaya.
    Una abraçada.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like when you share your memories - you write well because your writing gives me visuals of what you are saying. I felt I could "see' him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cuando al escribir expresas unos sentimientos, el escrito conmueve el alma de todo el que lo lee.

    Cuando se expresa las experiencias vividas, expresas los sentimientos qu has sentido a través de ellas. el idiom puede ser un inconveniente pero siempre está a la mano un buen traductor.

    Besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Antonia, thank you for sharing your interesting thoughts about writing.
      I often use my favorite dictionary that was given to me by my father.
      This dictionary is my guide, my friend.

      Delete
  6. Me gusta tu escrito Kaya, muchas gracias por compartirlo. Besos.

    ReplyDelete