Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Juvenile Northern Harrier

To photograph a Northern Harrier was one of my biggest dreams that eventually came true but not how I expected.  A Juvenile Northern Harrier I met was perching on a pole in the worst location possible. There was a road with a heavy traffic behind him but I was happy to get these two photos and add them to my collection of raptors.



Harriers named for harrying prey, they have owl-like faces and detect prey by hearing.




Adult males are very different from juveniles. They were nicknamed "gray ghosts" for their beautiful white and grey plumage. Sadly, I have never seen the gray ghosts. Perhaps, someday if I have a pinch of luck I might see one.





4 comments:

  1. preciosas aves y preciosas fotos Kaya, besos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unas fotos preciosas en las que el fondo desenfocado hace que el aguilucho tome todo el protagonismo. En ese poste parece que estuviera posando para ti.
    Un abrazo,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Kaya,
    This is so fantastic. Really great how you have photograph this fantastic bird.
    This is the dream of every nature photographer to make pictures of this model. Well done Kaya!!

    Greetings, Marco

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bien fotografiado el aguilucho, Kaya, lo pillaste muy bien posando en el palo.

    Saludos.

    ReplyDelete