Monday, March 26, 2018

Cackling Goose






I had a difficult time to identify this goose until I came across the Cackling geese.

Cackling geese resemble so much in appearance Canada geese.

Cackling geese have long black necks (my goose has a long black neck)

Cackling geese also have white chinstraps. My goose has this white chinstrap.

And most important my goose has black legs and feet.

***

Last Saturday I went to Barnes and Nobles to look for books about birds.

I looked at some of them and left Barnes and Nobles 

with the pocket guide  "Birds of North America".


 I liked three things about this little book:

This book is for beginners and I am one of them.

This book covers 160 species.  That is plenty for me.

 The photographs are magnificent in this book.



sharing this post with Our Word Tuesday and
 
     Wild Bird Wednesday 








16 comments:

  1. Kaya, I'm so glad I came across your blog! Your photos are truly magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cackling Goose is quite tiny, barely bigger than a Mallard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful photo of a geese that shows everything in the description. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A photo as a fan - very beautiful!
    No, do not say you're a beginner, unless you want to joke!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The photograph is marvelous, Kaya.

    Since my knowledge regarding geese is rather provincial and antiquated, I will defer from making any further comments specifically in regard to them by species .... by the way, a variety of ducks and honkers have spent the winter as my neighbors here in Minnesota. I see some every day. As long as there is some open water to be found and food available for them, not all are compelled to migrate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this outstretched wings shot… beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just magnificent, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful photo!
    You have me wondering about the geese here in southeastern Alberta. As soon as I hear them overhead, I rush outside to look because a skein of geese is beautiful to behold.
    As "Fram Actual" said, above, as long as there is open water and food, they might not migrate. Such is the case here in Medicine Hat, Alberta, where outflow from the city's water system keeps part of the river open all winter.
    However, there are few things I enjoy more than watching geese fly overhead in the spring!
    Kay
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  9. Espectacular foto, muy bien captada-

    Besos

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kaya, I just LOVE your blog and this gorgeous goose photo... amazing!!!
    I will be looking at some of your earlier postings, too.
    I am now a happy follower of your beautiful blog 💮

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fabulous photo. I assumed it was a Canada Goose until I read your post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic details of the plumage, well done :))

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome being able to ID this goose since it's so much like a Canada Goose! Great photo!

    ReplyDelete